Thwane Bush Camp is a Safari style tented camp situated in the very heart of the Vredefort Dome – a most recent proclaimed World Heritage Site. Only 90 minutes drive from Johannesburg, Thwane Bush Camp offers affordable and stylish accommodation, comfort, an array of activities, beautiful surroundings, as well as friendly and welcoming staff.
This camp is also a mere 20 km drive from Parys, a small vibrant town on the banks of the Vaal River. Parys offers a variety of restaurants, art galleries, antique shops, cafes, golf courses and water related activities. The name, Thwane, is derived from the Sotho word for ‘caracal’ or ‘rooikat’ – which can be found roaming freely in the area. The bio-diversity, absence of Malaria and moderate climate makes Thwane Bush Camp the perfect Bushveld hideaway!
Reception and day visitor’s area
The area for day visitors and swimming pool is located at main reception building and all bookings for day hikes, activities, game drives and trips to the Highest look-out point of the Vredefdort Dome World heritage site, is done here.
The layout of Thwane is as such that it is more accommodating towards group bookings. However, should the date requested not be occupied by a group booking 10 days before the specific date, we will accommodate individual bookings. Thwane offers 3 camps close to each other as well as within walking distance from the swimming pool located at reception and the day visitors area. Our 4 th camp “Camp Nguni” and the new “Thwane” restaurant at the reception / day visitors area will be completed during the 1 st quarter of 2010
THWANE “BUSH” CAMP:
· 6 x En suite Safari tents - sleeps 4 pax each (total 24)
· Shower, basin & amenities; all linen provided
· Centrally located lapa/dining room/ restaurant
· Rooikat Bar and a ‘Takkraal’ Boma with a campfire at night
· (PLEASE NOTE: Self CATERING levy is applicable at the BUSH CAMP: R500 per day for use of lapa facilities and cleaning staff).
THWANE CAMP “WAG ‘N BIETJIE”:
- 3 x En suite Safari tents - sleeps 4 pax each (total 12)
- Shower, basin & amenities; all linen provided
- Centrally located lapa & Boma basic equipment for self-catering
- A swimming pool for the exclusive use of all camps
(PLEASE NOTE: Self CATERING levy is applicable: R100 per day for use of lapa facilities and cleaning staff).
CAMP NGUNI RATE:
· Ideal for Couples or singles
· 6 x Safari tents - sleeps 2 pax each. Dinner, bed & Breakfast basis.
· Located away from al other Camps in the tranquillity of the Bushveld
· Furnished with double beds only, En suite Shower, basin & toilet; all linen provided
· Gas geyser for hot water and only PARAFIN LAMPS FOR LIGHTING (No electrics)
· Can be linked to main Camp and Rooikat Lapa
THWANE BASE CAMP:
- 3 Thatched Hikers tents – sleeps 8-10 pax each
- Separate ablution facilities; bed and mattress provided
- Own bedding/linen to be brought OR can be arranged at an extra cost of R 30 p/p
- Own lapa and braai area equipped with all basic kitchen utensils for self-catering purposes
(PLEASE NOTE: Self CATERING levy is applicable at the BASE CAMP: R120 per day for use of lapa facilities and cleaning staff).
A variety of activities can be done at Thwane or can be arranged near by:
- River rafting (On the Vaal)
- Abseiling (At Thwane)
- Orientation (At Thwane)
- Paint Ball (At Thwane)Clay Pigeon Shooting (At Thwane)
- Game drives (At Thwane)
- Hiking (At Thwane)
- Sundowners served at the Look-out point (At Thwane)
- Educational trips on the Vredefort Impact site as well as day-trips to the highest point of the Dome (At Thwane)
Should you wish to include activities during your stay at Thwane Bush Camp, please specify and we will correspond accordingly.
- We are a fully licensed establishment - Liquor and soft drinks are available from the bar
- Corkage fees applicable – self catering.
Thwane Bush Camp is part of the recently opened and fully accredited METEORITE HIKING TRAIL.
As Thwane Bush Camp is the official camp for the hiking trail; a variety of day hikes can be done from the camp. The full hiking trail can be done over three days, covering the "Bergland", as well as getting down into the Vaal River valley.
Thwane Bush Camp offers the following options for conferencing purposes:
- Bush-style outdoor conferencing - seating up to 50 pax (cinema style)
- Indoor conference - seating up to 30 pax (U formation)
- R100 per person per day, this includes venue hire, basic stationery, tea and coffee on arrival, mid morning
- pastries/biscuits, afternoon tea and biscuits
- Electrical power points and whiteboards are made available
- Data projector not included in price- to be provided by the client- should this be required additional cost is applicable.
** Meal options as well as requested teambuilding activities are to be discussed with management prior to the final booking. Bookings are to be made in advance.
Thwane Bush Camp offers an array of menu options – be it for conferencing, family reunions or teambuilding activities, whatever the occasion! Any dietary requirements can be specified on an enquiry form that is sent with the confirmation of a provisional booking.