What is Mosamane about?
At the foothills of the Maluties, close to Rosendal, you find the trail of Mosamane, the Ground Squirrel. The natural contours of the farm Beatrix flows into yellow and red sandstone cliffs, which, if carefully studied, hides the secrets of Iron Age Farmers and Soldiers. To the left, in the cliff, you will see the owl’s eyes, looking at the cathedral, the pulpit, the fossil and natural sculptures. The grassland forms a colourful carpet, decorated by a diversity of bright yellow and blue veld flowers and red Erica. Together with clusters of green shrubs, the stage is set for the Secretary bird’s battle dance and the flight of the rare Southern Bald Ibis. Soon you will come to the realization that the Mosamane’s trail cuts through variety of geology, soil types, plants, birds and small mammals, all radiating positive energy for you to absorb and recharge your spirit.
Mosamane is only 300 km from Johannesburg and 230 km from Bloemfontein. The rustic base camp with panoramic views consists of a barn accommodating 19 people on single beds, an ablution block with 6 toilets, 6 showers with warm water from a donkey, an undercover sundowner area and braai facilities. A kitchen with fridge and gas burner aids the cooking in the shade of the elephant’s sand stone trunk. Mosamane is the ideal place from where to explore the Eastern Free State, it is a portal to Lesotho, the Katse Dam and Clarens.
The Trails and activities:
· Enjoy the 7.5 km hiking trail designed and built by Discovery Trails. The trail has it’s ups and downs with surprises around each bend. You will find the Owl’s Eyes, Cathedral, several natural showers and a fairy garden on route to the outlook of the “old-old people”. There are several places where you will feel the need just to be quiet and to experience the forces of nature.
· For the more adventures hiker there is a geo-caching trail — a new way of treasure hunting on the rest of the farm Beatrix. This new way of discovery will take you past the fossil and through a unique maze.
· Bring your mountain bike and enjoy a tough 16km scenic ride covering a different part of the farm.
· Mosamane has been declared a Birder Friendly site. Simply spend you day bird watching in the different habitats on the farm or on birds’ routes in the area.
· You may want to do nothing …… enjoying the stillness and tranquility that the Eastern Free State has to offer.
During summer you can expect maximum temperatures of 32 °C with a cool breeze as the sun sets in the evening. “Summer” also means 4 seasons in one day, with heavy thunder, lightning and showers. The winter climate is more predictable with maximum temperatures of 20 °C and average minimum temperatures of 4 °C. The days are sunny and active people will have to take off all the woollies. Frost is not uncommon and snow does occur every few years.
Base camp facilities:
In addition to the previously mentioned facilities, the base camp also provides:
· Large kettle / Two pots / One no. 3 iron pot
· Limited Cooking utensils
· Dishwashing liquid
· Wood for donkey
· Two bags of wood for social fire
(Freezer facilities are available at farm residence).
What should I bring with?
· Insect repellent and antihistamine cream for insect bites
· Light sources and matches (note that there is no electricity)
· Personal toiletries and towels
· Dish cloths
· All eating utensils
· All cooking utensils
· Drink water bottles
· Charcoal or braaivleis wood (can also be bought on-site)
· Own bedding or sleeping bag
· Snacks and drinks
· Suntan lotion & lip ice
· Basic first aid kit and essential medicine
· Long trousers and Hat
· GPS (Optional)
Note: Limited cell phone reception. In case of emergency you may be contacted via the Mosamane cell phone number.
The additional optional services as indicated below should be confirmed during booking or at least one week before arriving at Mosamane.
Depending on how you want to spend your days, the following services at an additional cost can be provided:
· Picnic Lunch
· Breakfast and/or Dinner
· Booking to visit art galleries at Rosendal
· Booking for dinner and show (scheduled once per month) in Rosendal’s Theatre