On the very edge of the Highveld escarpment, a trail network of more than 40 km awaits the hiker. These trails nestle deep in a picturesque valley and can be hiked all year round by hikers with different levels of experience - from families with junior hikers to the wilderness hiker.
The trails are situated on Verlorenkloof Estates, a dairy and trout farm with vast unspoilt wilderness areas. A unique feature of these trails is the many ecological zones they span, namely rivers and wetlands, grassland and foothills, indigenous mountain forest and kloofs, and escarpment and highland. Two of the trails linking the valley to the highlands cut through indigenous kloofs – some of the most unspoilt areas of indigenous forest in Mpumalanga. Every trail has its unique focus, such as flora, bird life, archaeology and the magnificent views that hikers can enjoy from every vantage point.
The length of the trails ranges from 2 km to 20 km. Along the Crocodile River, the hiker will find abundant bird life in the riverine wetland. The other trails are all interlinked, traversing the various ecological zones, with four horizontal and three interlinking trails. Along all the routes there is sweet drinkable fountain water. Several small game species and more than 185 bird species have been noted. Hikers will find the recently discovered archaeological sites of particular interest. The vistas include three valleys, the Kwena Dam in the distance, a patchwork of agricultural land, and mountains of the Steenkampsberg range to the west and the Lowveld to the east. The owners of this well-run farm are committed conservationists and offer hikers some of the best-designed and most scenic trails in the country.
Walking the Welgedacht trail network will be an unforgettable experience for hikers and they will definitely return for further exploration of these routes.
- Using a well-drawn and very specific map, hikers can decide on their routes to suit their needs.
Degree of difficulty:
- Average to difficult.
Location of trails:
- 270 km from Gauteng
- 47 km from Lydenburg
- 45 km from Machadodorp.
- 20 crofts beautifully set in Verloren Kloof and Robin’s Kloof, each croft is private with a, picturesque view of the mountain and surrounds.
- The 6 bed crofts all have 3 bedrooms with 2 bathrooms
- The 10 bed crofts all have 5 bedrooms with 4 bathrooms
· Braai facilities
· Open plan lounge
· Dining area and kitchen
· Danish wood burning stove.
· Bedrooms are private and most are en suite
· The New Mountain crofts garden area includes a private plunge pool.
· The crofts are serviced twice a day.
- The reception building of the development has a food service and deli, library, shop, DSTV and conference facilities.