Rooikrans Hiking Trail is situated near the Loskop Dam, about 130 km from Pretoria and 150 km from Johannesburg.
The base camp accommodates 42 hikers with 3 rooms:
- 11 bunk beds with mattresses, sleeps 22 hikers.
- 7 bunk beds with mattresses, sleeps 14 hikers.
- 3 bunk beds with mattresses, sleeps 6 hikers
· A “Rondavel Camp” for 8 people privately has 2 bedrooms ( 4 beds each) and its own kitchen, bath room and outside braai area under big shady trees.
- Ladies and gents separate:
- Hot showers (supplied by a “donkie”)
- Flushing toilets
- 3 x 2 plate gas stoves
- Fridge / freezer
- Pots and pans,
- Cooking utensils
- Steel table and scullery
- Paraffin lanterns provided.
This is a figure 8 route.
This 15.8 km meanders across the valley, crosses various watercourses, and then back along the escarpment while negotiating various ravines along the way. This trail can be split to form two day trails of 7.6km and 11.4 km respectively.
This 11 km trail crosses the valley, various watercourses, and then negotiates ravines and parts of the escarpment. The trail is on a game and cattle farm, where you are sure to see some of the many different species of game, wide variety of bird life and flora. The farm's water supply is from natural springs, which will be encountered along both of the routes, where a large variety of indigenous trees also provide welcome shade during the summer months. 80 Different trees have been marked.
Mountain bike trails:
· 2 Mountain bike trails were laid out using game paths, cattle paths and the farm tracks.
· Length 8 – 10 km.
- A big lapa with tables and chairs provides shelter and can be used for small functions.
- Hikers can enjoy star gazing and a bon fire in the boma and conversation pit
· Bring your own bedding, cutlery, food and braaiwood.
· Don't forget mosquito killers!
· Vehicles must be in a good roadworthy condition
· More than 110 indigenous tree species are marked and listed.
· Over 75 species of birds have been listed already.
· Game such as:
o Bush buck,
· Small cat species:
o African civet
· Other game that can be seen:
o Vervet monkey
o Brown hyena
- All water supplies come from natural springs, safe drinking water along the trails and in the camp.
- Sement and rock pool to swim in close to the camp.
- Network of dirt roads available for mountain biking: bring own bikes.
- Fishing at Loskop Dam Aventura Resort.
- Variety of fish
- Yellow tail